With summer nearing it’s end, I have an abundance of cucumbers from my garden laying around. While I love pickles and plan on using some of these delicious home grown cucumbers to pickle (recipe coming soon!), I wanted some variety in my cucumber dishes.
Growing up with a Hungarian background, this dish was always a staple at my grandmother’s house. Not a meal went by where this cucumber salad was not served. It is light and healthy, with zero fat content. It’s also quite filling, so it provides a great substitute for some other salads overloaded with oils.
This cucumber salad takes about 2.5 hours to make, overall. Keep in mind that the middle 1-1.5 hours just involves waiting. To slice these cucumbers, I use my spiralizer, on the slicing tool. If using a spiralizer, make sure to slice once down the length of the cucumber, about a cm deep. This allows the cucumber to come out in slices, rather than one long, flat spiral. You may also use a mandolin, if you please. They key to this recipe is that the cucumbers must be sliced thin. Recipe lasts approximately 2 weeks in the fridge.
If you decide to make this recipe, I’d love to see how it turns out! Please tag me in your photos and use #theveganjetsetter .
- 6 Medium cucumbers (preferably organic)
- 4 Tbsp salt
- 6 Tbsp white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp white sugar (or any organic sugar)
- 6 Tbsp water
- Peel cucumbers.
- If using your spiralizer, cut a line down the length of the cucumber, approximately 1 cm deep. Use the slicing feature and slice all 6 cucumbers.
- Place sliced cucumbers in a bowl and add the salt. Mix well.
- Transfer salted cucumbers to a strainer and place over a bowl or pot and allow the liquid to drain for approximately 1 to 1.5 hours.
- In the meanwhile, combine the vinegar, water and sugar in a side bowl.
- Once the cucumbers are ready, take handfuls of cucumbers and squeeze any remaining liquid out before placing into a new bowl. Repeat this until all the cucumber has been squeezed and placed into a new bowl.
- Pour liquid mixture over cucumbers and toss lightly.
- Let sit overnight in the fridge for best results.