The long weekend is FINALLY here and because of that, I’ve decided to share one of my favorite staple recipes for summer 2018. (Warning: the following photos may induce severe hunger) If you’re Canadian or American, or are planning to get together with friends or family this weekend (or any weekend!), I promise you that these burgers won’t disappoint and will quickly become a crowd pleaser. Easy to make, super delicious and a recipe that feeds 6, these burgers are a great way to kick off the warm weather and celebrate the 4th of July and Canada Day! Good food, good company, warm weather… what more could you ask for?!
One of my favorite parts of this recipe is the addition of Go Raw’s Sprouted Pumpkin Seeds. They are lightly salted with celtic sea salt, adding such a nice flavor to the patties. They’re also full of amino acids, zinc, protein and iron, so you can get that nutrient boost at the same time! I also must admit that while I do love a good black bean patty, what really pulls this recipe together for me is the vegan tzatziki. It compliments the patty perfectly, throwing in some garlicy, creamy goodness. And what’s better than garlicy creamy goodness?? Nothing. Nothing is better.
For some great ideas of other dishes to make for your 4th of July or Canada Day celebrations, check out these amazing recipes by my incredible friends:
Scroll down to see the recipe for these delicious Mediterranean Black Bean Burgers!
- 1 large cucumber
- 680 g unsweetened plain vegan yogurt
- 1.5 tsp finely minced garlic
- 2 tbsp finely chopped dill
- 3 tsp salt
- Grate the cucumber sprinkle 1 tsp of salt over it. Mix well and place in a cheese bag or fine strainer, over a bowl to catch the liquid. Let it sit for approximately 2 hours while the liquid drains out. Squeeze the remaining liquid with your hands.
- In a separate bowl, combine yogurt, cucumber, garlic, remaining salt and dill. Mix well.
- Flavours taste best after marinating for a couple of hours.
- 2 cans of black beans (398 ml each), drained
- 1 cup of Go Raw Sprouted Pumpkin Seeds
- 3/4 cup of instant oats
- 2 cups of chopped red onion
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- In a food processor, blend the instant oats into a flour and pour into a bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium size pan, sauté the onion in the olive oil, over medium, until translucent.
- In the same food processor, blend the beans, sprouted pumpkin seeds, garlic, salt and onion with the remaining oil from the pan. The goal is to create a paste, but not a liquid. It's ok to leave it a bit chunky.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and mix in the oat flour, making sure to mix it well.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and divide the bean mixture into approximately 6 even portions, depending on your desired size.
- Create flat, round patties and place on the baking sheet. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, flipping after 10 minutes.
- Serve with Vegan Tzatziki (recipe above), lettuce, tomatoes, red onions and olives.