This Monday is Memorial Day, a day to remember those who served to protect the United States of America. Now, while I may be Canadian, I do spend quite a bit of time in the US, and have many friends and family there – so this holiday has quite a bit of significance for me as well. I know I’ll never truly understand its significance being Canadian, but I still love to honour our southern neighbours and those that fought for such a great country. My thoughts and prayers are with all of the families who have lost loved ones.
While Memorial Day is to remember the lives lost, it is now customary to celebrate the weekend. Memorial Day parties are held all over the country, with red, white and blue colors seen throughout. That’s why I decided to make these Red, White and Blue Banana Pops – a delicious treat, but healthier than your typical celebratory desserts. This recipe is incredibly easy to make, perfect for kids or adults and contains some great vitamins and nutrients! Win, win. Everybody in your family will love it. It’s also extremely versatile. Don’t like raspberries? Sub them out for strawberries. Don’t like blueberries? Use grapes, or even blackberries. You get the point.
As always, if you make this dish, please tag me and use #theveganjetsetter… enjoy!!
- 6 Bananas
- 12 Popsicle sticks
- 245 g of dark chocolate
- 1 bag of freeze dried raspberries (approximately 34 g)
- 1 bag of freeze dried blueberries (approximately 34 g)
- 1 cup of dried coconut slivers
- Peel and slice each banana in half. Should make 12 pieces.
- Poke popsicle stick through the flat end of each banana. Place all of the bananas in a freezer bag and freeze for 2 hours.
- After bananas are frozen, melt chocolate in a small pot over low heat, stirring constantly to avoid burning. Pour melted chocolate into a narrow glass.
- Lay out freeze dried fruits into flat plates. Place each fruit separately, breaking up larger pieces if necessary.
- Immediately upon removing the bananas from the freezer, one by one, dip them into the melted chocolate and roll them in the freeze dried fruit. You may need to sprinkle some toppings on top, if the banana is not fully coated by rolling.
- Allow chocolate to harden (should not take more than one minute per banana) and serve immediately or freeze for up to one week and serve at a later date.