I’m always looking for healthy, quick ways to create delicious meals. Combine healthy and quick with dark leafy greens, and I’m sold. Any opportunity to add in those extra vital nutrients, is one that I jump at. Consuming dark leafy greens is an essential part to a healthy vegan diet, but let’s be real – sometime’s it’s difficult to get them all in. While I am definitely a lover of lettuce and spinach and the like, kale has always been a more difficult leaf to work with. Chalk it up to its rough texture, maybe. This recipe calls for massaging the kale, which works to break down it’s fibres and soften up the leaves before consuming. It’s a great tip when working with kale and something that’s increased my kale consumption greatly.
I tend to love the taste that mushrooms lend to a dish and this recipe is no exception. The combination of cooked mushrooms with the massaged kale blends perfectly. Mushrooms are a staple for me; their antioxidants, selenium content, vitamin D, vitamin C and potassium are only some of the benefits that make them so consistent in my diet. They are also extremely versatile and provide many different tastes and textures.
This recipe is fast, easy and super healthy! The flavors are abundant and the nutrients are plentiful. Sprinkle with some nutritional yeast or roasted pine nuts for some extra ‘oomph’.
I’d love to see how your version turns out! Please tag me in your photos and use #theveganjetsetter.
- 1.5 Cups of raw peperini pasta
- 4 Cups mushrooms, chopped
- 14 Cherry tomatoes
- 2 Cups of kale, sliced thinly
- 1.5 Cups of water
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp tamari
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- In a medium sized pan, combine mushrooms, water, nutritional yeast, salt, balsamic vinegar, and garlic. Let simmer for approximately 10 minutes, or until mushrooms are cooked through.
- In a separate bowl, pour the lemon juice and tamari over the kale and massage for 3 minutes to soften the kale leaves. Let sit for approximately 15 minutes.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes into halves or thirds.
- Allow pasta to cool. Once cooled, combine all ingredients into a large bowl and mix well.