Vegan gelato in Athens in, without a doubt, like stumbling across a jackpot. GOOD vegan gelato is like winning the lottery. This is how I describe Ice Queen in Athens. Not only does Ice Queen serve vegan gelato, they have 6 or 7 different flavors that all taste incredibly delicious.
Some of the vegan flavors are a little strange or ‘exciting’ (but nonetheless awesome!), as far as gelato flavors go; can’t say that I’ve seen grape gelato anywhere else.
We recommend the chocolate and peach. They are great on their own and combined as well. They are both creamy, smooth and not too sweet. The fruit compliments the chocolate perfectly.
Not in the mood for gelato? Ice Queen also serves soy milk for coffee, so enjoy your favorite brew just the way you like it.
Things to note:
- You may only taste 2 flavors of gelato.
- Two scoops comes to 3.50 EU – a little pricey as far as gelato goes (compared to the standard 2.50 EU all over Rome).
- The service is mediocre, although maybe we just caught them on a bad day.
- The outdoor seating is lovely and makes a great spot for people watching.
- This gelateria is located right next to the Acropolis subway station, making it very easy to get there.
Overall, we definitely recommend this spot for your sugar fix in Athens.